Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Short Summer Movie Reviews

I've officially started my summer movie viewing season. So far I've to two huge blockbuster summer films, Toy Story 3 and Eclipse.  Check out my brief reviews below (coming soon). My next movie will probably be The Last Airbender despite horrendous critic reviews (hence my lack of movie news).

Sex & the City 2
So my first brief review is of Sex & the City 2. I think I wrote about this movie before, so I'll real short. It was insufferable, fake and a disappointment. I don't care to see the DVD and I rather just pretend like the movie was never made.

Iron Man 2
This sequel was not as disappointing as SATC2, but it wasn't exactly astounding.  It was funny, had good characters (I thought Whiplash was a good addition), but I didn't really feel a good connection to the characters and their problems.  It's been a while since I've seen this movie, so I don't think I have much else to say.

Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Overall, this movie was pretty good. I admit I've mostly enjoyed these movies for their eye candy, so I can't say that the plot has really been a deciding factor for me.  I fell in love with Edward in Twilight and drooled at Jacob's abs in New Moon, this movie didn't really have that factor.  There was no new hot dude, although Riley was defiinitely attractive.  However, the story, special effects and just the look of this movie was great. The actors have obviously learned to act without being awkward.  There were some awkward lines ("I'm hotter than you"), but they didn't distract from the interesting and well paced plot. I would definitely recommend that you see it.

Toy Story 3
So, I wasn't really sure I was going to see this movie in theaters, but after hearing about how brought most viewers to tears I figured it wouldn't hurt to see it in the movie theaters in 3D.  I am so glad that I made that decision.  This movie is one of the best of the year.  I guess it meant a great deal to me because Toy Story was one of the first kiddy movie that I saw as a child.  It was also the first feature length computer animated film, so the touching story of Andy giving up his toys meant a great deal to me.  I managed not to cry by the end of the film, but it did solidify to me the significance of this film in my life.  I would say see it enjoy it and even buy the DVD.

Inception
WOWWW!!! I think that is the one word that sums up this movie to me.  This film pretty much established that Christopher Nolan is my favorite director.  Before I saw the film I read an article about some of the films Nolan directed which includes many of my favorites like The Dark Knight, The Prestige (blew my mind), and Batman Begins.  But by the end of the article I learned that he also directed Memento another movie that blew my mind and really challenged the way I thought a movie story could be told.  I decided from that moment that if I really liked Inception Nolan would be my fave director. 

Now, I've already said that he is my fave director, so now you know that I loved this movie.  First of all the look of the movie.  I love a movie that is clean cut and clear. Second, the cast.  All members of the cast were good characters, believable, and good looking.  Third, but most importantly, the intricate and intense plot.  A lot of reviewers said that the movie was really confusing, but luckily it wasn't that confusing. I didn't really grasp a moment at the end, but I was able to get through the story with a good understanding of everything that happened. The ending was open ended, but I feel like that it didn't need to end any other way.  A huge part of my appreciation for this movie is that I decided not to overanalyze it.  I think Lost took away my ability to get too deep into what can be an inexplicable plot.  I've learned to "let go" and enjoy something for what it is.  So, no, I didn't go home thinking about kicks and totems.  Instead I went home thinking about the incredible and challenging experience that I had in the movie theaters.  It could only compare to The Prestige, which I also saw in theaters. I hope to see this movie again soon, but in IMAX. Can't wait! If you haven't seen it yet, see it now!

Still haven't seen The Last Airbender and may not be able to (they're not playing it in the city much), but hopefully I'll get a chance to see it soon.  There no other movies on my movie horizon at the moment, but I hoping to see some other things and give some more reviews in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment